Tuesday 12 February 2008

Can't Stop Knitting Socks




My dad finally got his Christmas socks at the end of January and kindly agreed to model them for me. It's about eight months since I started knitting him socks and he can't get enough of them . These are cable rib socks from Interweave's Favorite Socks and they are knitted in Schoeller and Stahl Fortissima Socka on 2.5mm needles. I didn't make the legs as long as in the pattern. My dad likes plain socks but didn't mind the cables going up each side. I say he likes plain socks but he finds handknitted socks so comfortable he's willing to wear some surprising self patterning and variegated yarns - even Opal rainforest "Veronka Die Wilde" - which is bright green. I finished a straight forward pair of socks for him in this yarn a few days ago but haven't got around to taking photos yet.






The only pair of socks I have completed for myself so far are Go with the Flow Socks from the same Interweave book as above. I used a Lana Grossa Meilenweit cotton yarn which I bought months ago in HK Handknit in Edinburgh (very sorry to hear this is shutting down). When I picked up the yarn to start knitting I couldn't believe I'd picked that colour- it's not very attractive but the cotton does make it really comfortable to wear.






My current work in progress is another pair of socks for myself. I got some lovely Ranco Multi yarn from Stitching Time in Hamilton. It's a chance to try something new because I want to use all of the yarn so I'm knitting them from the toe up. Luckily Let's Knit magazine came with a free DVD this month which had a tutorial on short row toes. It was really helpful and I'm almost finished the first sock - photos should be following soon!