Friday 16 May 2008

Just as I Suspected.

When I decided to try writing a knitting blog it seemed like a good way of keeping track of all my projects and maybe forcing me to think a bit more about what I knit. I did worry that I wouldn't be very good at keeping it up and it turns out I was right to worry - a whole month with no post! Today's post is designed to account for the last month, knitting wise and show that although I'm rubbish at sitting down to write I do manage to pick up the needles.




The Cabled Cardigan is finished! This one really dragged on towards the end but I'm pleased with it. The problem is I think it is probably a bit on the small side. It's been posted down to my nephew so I'll have to wait till it arrives to see if it does fit.

While the cardigan was waiting to be completed I needed a quick project as a distraction so the net scarf below was knitted in the garden. I like scarves, even in spring and summer, so I knitted up some leftover Jaeger Roma (bought for £1 a ball at the tail end of the John Lewis sale in January) on my favourite wooden 10mm needles. I cast on 20 stitches and every row is [s1, (k2tog, yo) until last stitch, k1]. The fringe is copied from the Lady Elenor stole from Scarf Style and was fun to knot (not knit). This was perfect for knitting in the sunshine - quick and easy and I like the end result.



The last pair of knitted socks for my Dad was at Christmas so he was due a new pair. These are plain toe up socks knitted in Regia sock yarn. I really like the colour and plain socks are great for knitting while watching TV (these were knitted through two Champions League Semis).

I was in Hamilton last week and I picked up a ball off Lang Super Soxx Cotton from Stitching Time. It was a real bargain at £4.95 so my Dad is also getting a bonus pair of socks in a stripy cotton blend. Again, they are toe up, my current method of choice but I'll probably return to cuff down for my next pair for a bit of variety.

After some easy socks it seemed time to try something new. I've never really been a fan of picture knits but thought it might be fun to try a bit of intarsia, at least once. In the 50th issue of Knitting magazine I saw a pattern for a cheeky monkey jumper which would look great on my gorgeous little nephew. The pattern called for Debbie Bliss Cashmerino but as I still had half a bag of Jaeger Matchmaker left over I decided to use this instead.



Finding a nice brown yarn for the monkey wasn't that easy but I settled on Sublime Extra Fine Merino and bought a ball each of brown and cream. The jumper has the word cheeky on the back but I've decided to use duplicate stitch for that rather than intarsia. The front didn't go too badly although having the various strands hanging did get on my nerves but I think it will look good when the monkey gets his eyes, nose and mouth.



So that's my output for the last month with the monkey jumper and cotton socks still on the needles and several more items in the early planning stages.

The football season is almost at an end and I'm looking forward to the Champions League final but so much of this season has been sickening. The Scottish league becomes more of a joke from day to day and the fiasco of the UEFA cup final in Manchester was disappointing and disgraceful. The point is being made all over the internet but it is worth repeating. Scottish fans of all clubs and the national team have been fantastic at away games for years (Celtic fans even have awards from FIFA and UEFA) but repeatedly when Rangers play there is violence and trouble with the police. Please don't judge all Scottish football fans by their example.