Thursday 5 June 2008

Purple Patch

Somehow I have ended up working on two projects in purple. They are not designed to match, in fact they are different shades of purple. The first came about after a visit to McAree Brothers in Stirling a couple of weeks ago. I saw their deep purple Anchor Bamboolo and loved it. It is really soft with a slight sheen (70% cotton, 30% bamboo) and I’m hoping it will make a lovely lightweight top. I have started knitting in the round on 6.5mm needles without deciding how I want the top to look. I have copies of EZ’s Knitting Without Tears and Joelle Hoverson’s Favorite Yoke Sweater Pattern and Teva Durham’s Loop d Loop to hand for inspiration but I’m basically going to see how far my 7 skeins takes me and decide what to do as I go along.




The second project is crochet! I was browsing on Ravelry (as you do) and discovered the Fingerless Gloves Fanatics Group. I’m hardly a fanatic but I would say I’m a bit of a convert. I used to think fingerless gloves were a complete waste of time but a pair of Fetching Mittens and Falling Leaves Wristwarmers later I’ve changed my mind. I gave away the Fetching pair as a gift but I love my Falling Leaves. They do make you feel really cosy- it must be the covering of the pulse points. So I find the FGF group and see they are doing a June KAL and CAL. For some reason I go for the Afternoon Tea Gloves CAL. They are very pretty but I cannot think of a situation where I will wear a pair of lacy “Tea Gloves” ! I don’t go to many upmarket garden parties these days. It’s been fun working on the first glove despite a few problems with the pattern so even if I don’t wear them I’ll have enjoyed doing a bit of crochet for a change. The yarn is Rowan 4 ply cotton (1 ball, size 2mm hook) and I also need buttons for the wrists before I can go any further .



All this purple has distracted me but I must finish off the cheeky monkey jumper . There is very little left to be done yet I keep picking up everything but the jumper - poor little cheeky monkey needs a face. I promise I’ll give him one soon.